Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Time Marching On...

So much has happened in Sadie's young life. We get the cutest gifts for her everyday! And, while we haven't taken her to a Cubs game yet, we have driven her through Cubs traffic, which she did not enjoy. Sadie likes movement, not sitting still in a car where she is strapped in according to safety regulations. Hates traffic....I like that in a baby.
We try to do at least 4 minutes per day of tummy time. Sadie tolerates it gamely for about 2.5 minutes and then it's no good. Sadie likes to see what is going on around her; she likes to participate in her world. Tummy time is no good because she has to work so hard to lift her head, there is no energy left to engage in the scene. We do it because the pediatrician said it will help develop her neck muscles and also so she won't get a flat head from laying on it all day. How do you fix a flat head? Oh, yea, you make your kid wear a helmet so the shape of her head goes back to "normal" (round, that is).

Let me tell you one thing about the prospect of Sadie wearing a helmet. NO EFFING WAY. One of the chief benefits to the C-section -- yes, besides getting to deliver a healthy baby, while staying alive myself-- is that C-section babies come out with very very round heads. ROUND because they never had to contort to get through the birth canal. I didn't sit through a panic attack and 6 agonizing weeks of recovery from MAJOR ABDOMINAL SURGERY so that down the road Sadie would wear a helmet.

I have some strong feelings about that. Can you imagine the post if I get word that Sadie needs a helmet?

Let's not go there.

What else has she been up to?
She had her first visit to an art studio when we popped in for lunch with Joyce. Sadie isn't quite old enough to understand the content of Joyce's current body of work, but we're pretty sure she'll like to mess around with paint and colors soon enough. We're hoping Joyce will help us nurture Sadie's inner artists, since Sadie is blessed with two lawyers for parents.
We also had the second visit to the pediatrician, which went way better than our first. Sadie did not pee on the scale, though I was secretly rooting for her to do it again. She weighed in at a healthy 9lbs 11oz, which means these breasts are cranking out the nutrients for Sadie. She's also in the 95% percentile for her height at 23 inches. I am assuming she gets that from Jeff, who insists he was a stubby little baby. I had been wondering why she was growing out of her onsies in the length department, but she doesn't have a big baby belly yet that I was expecting by this time. I just want her belly to be at least as big as my breasts. Somehow that seems fair to me. She also got her second Hepititis B shot, which was traumatic for her and for me. It's a cliche that it's hard for moms to see their kids get shots, but damn, she was all smiley one second and then BAM! the nurse stabbed her leg with the needle and she looked stunned-- the room stood still-- and then she looked at me with imploring eyes that seemed to say, "How could you? How could you let this happen to me? I TRUSTED you." I kept my eyes focused on her eyes so I could be with her in the pain, but that was hard and I am NOT looking forward to seeing the doctor next time when she gets 4 more shots. I will need a sedative.

Where is that left over Norco?

Because I was a little confused about who the visit was for, and frankly, a little self-absorbed, I stepped on the scale at the pediatrician's office. This is NOT something I normally do and it's unclear to me WHY I felt the need to that. But, I did. Turns out, even after birth, you (or I) may still have over 21.5 (approximately, of course) pounds "extra." Did I really think I would lose the 43 lbs I gained over the course of five measly weeks? And, it's precisely these kinds of questions that waste my time and prove why I am not the person who has any business on the scale at the pediatrician's office, or anywhere else.

Lesson learned. Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment