Friday, July 31, 2009

A Week of Firsts

You can see from the pictures that Sadie was not in love with bath time. We can't just dunk her in the baby tub until her umbilical cord falls off, so we decided to do a sponge bath on our bed. It was our first time too so we were going a little too slow for Sadie's taste. I think she is on the fence still about whether she will forgive us for taking so long and for allowing the water to cool far beyond her pleasure level. She sure does look cute all dressed up like a pink Jedi, though!

We also had our first spin in the baby stroller, which was glorious on a perfect July morning. This was our first outing-- Sadie accompanied mommy to a much needed therapy appointment and then we strolled a little bit in Millenium Park. The morning was flawless: little humidity, sunshine, cool breezes, darling baby and shutterbug husband. I only wish I was up for a longer walk that morning. Damn that major abdominal surgery getting in my way!

Sadie, our captivating newborn, sleeps about 18 hours a day. I always assumed that was an exaggeration, but it's not. When she sleeps for long stretches I miss her and want to wake her up to play. I don't because that is insane behavior, but when she wakes up and is ready to nurse and get busy looking cute and farting, I am so excited.

Today is a big day for us as well. We have a lactation consultant coming over to observe me and Sadie doing our breastfeeding gig. I am slightly obsessed with doing it right, mostly because I want it to stop hurting when she latches on, but also to be sure that she is getting what she needs. Honestly, I am just winging it right now and I decided that if there is such a thing as a person who comes to your house to help us get this process to a place of comfort and peace of mind, then why not? I am just sitting around breast feeding anyway.

Tonight we are going to a small get together for a friend's birthday. I have learned how to use the sling, so our plan is to go with Sadie in the sling and let people admire her from afar. I am not ready to pass her around yet, but I am willing to show up and practice my new dual role as mommy and party reveler! The party starts at 8:30 p.m., which in my former life would be way too late, is now perfect. Sadie konks out from about 7-10 every night and then wakes up to feed and hang out until about 1, when she goes down for good. We'll see how it goes, but I am optimistic and grateful that the hostess has kids as do many of the guests, so it will be a friendly crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment