Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Pirates or Pregnant Woman On Glucose?

What's more lethal: A band of Somali pirates cruising international waters armed with loaded Uzi and motives loaded with greed OR administering to an almost-seven-months pregnant woman a turbo-sugared drink on an empty stomach and then taking her blood?

My husband knows the answer to that one. Parenting for him will be a breeze compared to trying to deal with an over-hungry, over-glucosed version of me. It wasn't pretty. I am not proud of how it all went down after the test, the results of which I get tomorrow. I almost fainted in the Treasure Island and I bet my husband wishes I would have so he could have a moment of peace which was only likely to come if I was rendered unconscious. What can I say? When I get over-hungry and overwhelmed and have thick syrup running through my veins after a mere 5 hours of sleep, I turn into a blathering, incoherent-yet-definitely-bitchy version of myself. Yes, worse than normal.

The test itself went fine. My blood pressure was fine, and we all studiously avoided the topic of my weight gain. (I assume it's perfect. ) I drank the drink and in the hour that we had to wait before they drew my blood, Jeff and I looked at the photo albums of all the babies born to the doctors in the practice. It's so much fun looking at the babies, and seeing the different names and birth announcements. Most of the pictures are of the doctors in the practice with the newborns they presumably just delivered. I got some good ideas for what to do with my hair during labor. I think you have to go with the cotton band that will keep the hair out of your face. I didn't see any baseball caps, which would be my first choice. Hell, if it's good enough for a marathon race, why not labor?

From now on, my doctor's appointments are every two weeks. It's hard to believe we are heading into the home stretch. Speaking of stretch, we learned a few more details about what will happen down town during labor. I am committing to a regime of weekly prenatal yoga so the stretching process will not require any medical incisions of any kind. But that will certainly be another post-- hopefully one without pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment