Friday, March 20, 2009

Corpus Christie

We used to vacation in Corpus Christi, Texas, way back in the day. Actually, I think we were trying to get to Padre Island, but hurricane season truncated the journey to Corpus Christi. All I remember, besides pouting and not being at THE beach, was visiting a mission. But, that my have just been something I read in our Texas history book.

So, here's my womb at 22.5 weeks. Jeff took this picture almost 1 week ago, but you get the idea. It's still shocking to look down and see my breasts resting on my stomach. Sometimes when I look at my beautiful ballooning stomach my mind plays tricks on me. One night, I looked into the mirror at my naked stomach and swore that I saw my former boyfriend-- the one who gained about 20 lbs in the first 2 months of dating me. (I didn't take that personally. OH wait, yes I did.) Then, sometimes I see my maternal grandmother, who lived on a farm in a small Texas town. This is the same Grandmother who had a third-grade education and a strong aversion to healthy food that was not accompanied by copious layers of bacon grease. She also had a strong aversion to wearing underwear to bed or wearing more than a see-through slip at the end of a long, hot Texas day. Is anyone anywhere still wondering why I need so much therapy?

Despite the mind games, I am loving my body and my daughter inside. I heard on my mommy message board that 24 weeks is viability. Yet another hoop looms just 4 days away. Next up, glucose test and third-trimester benchmarks, which include vericose veins, leaking breasts, sleep disturbances, and swollen ankles. Now we know why God made babies so cute...so women will be willing to do this again.







No comments:

Post a Comment