Tuesday, March 3, 2009

21 Weeks


It's Tuesday, so we turned 21 weeks pregnant today. I find it uncanny that the portion of the pregnancy email update that comes on Tuesdays that includes "what's happening in mama's body" is right on target. Today, it says that "increased oil production" may worsen acne. Unbelievable. For the first time since Peppermint's conception, I got two lovely blemishes on my face. Again, very unoriginal, as the majority of women who are 21 weeks pregnant the world over are also experiencing similar flashbacks to high school. I can't decide which I like more: my incontinence or my acne. It's a toss up. Why choose sides; I love them both.


I just survived an insanely busy stretch at work that actually was powerful enough to distract me from pregnancy for more than 15 minutes at a time. It's strange to slow down again and savor every kick and flutter from Peppermint. And, the Pottery Barn Kids catalog came yesterday. I could have just wept from the cuteness in there. ON MY GOD. I wish we had 3 different rooms for the Peppermint. We could do an all-out pink explosion with pink toile curtains and bedding, and also a bold, tropical room with mango-tinted sheets with acqua accents. Then, for kicks, we could also do a soothing blue room, just to reinforce the idea that we are beyond gender rigidity-- that is, we are not creating a world where girls can't have anything to do with blue and boys can't enjoy a little pink now and again.


I am starting to get recommendations for products we'll need for Pepps, including a very inventive "co sleeper" that we'll wheel up to the bed for those first few weeks back home. It gets a little more real everyday, especially now that (1) I am showing and (2) we are in the back half. Other tasks for this week include signing up for birth classes and registering at the hospital. I am a little nervous about the whole hospital part of this. I have never ever been admitted to a hospital for any reason-- no broken bones, no ebola virus, no acute psychosis. (We won't talk about how close I may have come for some of those.) Anyway, from my limited experience, I think I want to bring my own pillows, some comfy socks, and some snacks. I haven't come that far only to end up in a hospital with no snacks! Oh yea, and I guess an outfit for the baby to wear on the way home. I am so happy its going to be summertime. On so many levels. The last thing I want to worry about is driving home in an ice storm with my 48-hour-old baby. No, we'll cruise the streets of Chicago the mere 6 miles it will take to get home.
So, I am hoping my Type-A mom friends will forward me their lists of "must haves" and clue me in to what is not necessary. A co-worker said not to buy any blankets because I will get many as gifts, and according to the SIDS guidelines, you are not supposed to put a baby to bed with a blanket. I am hoping Jeff will take the lead on the safety part of this operation, because I can't read about SIDS or other baby dangers without almost having a stroke. I am pretty sure that my coronary will not be advantageous from a health-perspective for Pepps.
We've dipped only a toe into the baby naming waters. It's such an awesome responsiblity and there are so many names. I refuse to get a baby name out of some book or list or source on the internet. I believe the name should come from history, literature, family or make it up. I can't stand the thought of telling my daughter one day, "Yes, I logged on to the social security website to find a name that appealed to me." It sounds so impersonal and unimaginative. So, we'll see. It's one part of the process I have no inclination to rush. Too important and I don't want to miss a great name because I got locked in weeks ahead of time.
Slow and steady.

No comments:

Post a Comment