Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Accessories

Jeff and I have not started buying much for Peppermint, mostly because we will find out the gender, which will likely affect our shopping trajectory. So far, Pepps has two items: this little hat from Old Navy, which I tell myself is gender neutral:


And this super cute bib that Jeff got me for Hanukkah, which in reality, truly is gender neutral. I love the bib and wore it around a little after Hanukkah. The whole experience makes me wonder why we give up such a useful piece of clothing at such tender ages. I could use a bib almost every day. Like this morning, when I had a bag of Chex Mix for my breakfast, a well positioned bib would have saved me the time and trouble of getting all those Chex bits off my chest. Though, at the rate my chest is growing, it's going to take a pretty ample baby bib to cover the necessary parts. But that is another post altogether.

I have to say that I can't wait to find out the gender (and get further confirmation that Pepps is growing and getting all the necessary ingredients to become a straight-A, well-adjusted, Rhodes Scholar with aspirations for a Cabinet position in the year 2036). JUST KIDDING.
I honestly just want a healthy child with all the parts that come with having a healthy child-- limbs and a perfectly four-chambered heart and little toes and fingers and easily discernable gender parts. Other mom friends have told me not to buy anything because we will get so many gifts. Anyone who tells me not to shop clearly doesn't know me well or needs a medication adjustment. Not shop for my baby? Ok. And then I will stop inhaling and exhaling. Not going to happen.
And, speaking of shopping. Can I please say how much I love Target? It bears repeating. I am wearing a non-maternity light wool dress from Target today that I love, love, love. I confess that I woke up feeling svelte and decidedly unbloated so I thought I could have one less hurrah with my non-maternity clothes. That little experiment was another lesson in how I feel about my body doesn't always translate into a little limitation we call reality. I shimmied into a little J.Crew skirt and all was well as long as I didn't want to zip it. So, at 16 weeks and 1 day, I admit that I am fully moving on to a new era, a new wardrobe and a new size. I love it. And as long as I wear the bras from the new era, everything is going to be just fine. I learned the hard way that getting ready in the dark has its hazards when I ended up wearing "old era" bra yesterday. It looked more like I put a thong on my chest than an article of clothing that would actually support the situation.
In case it's been too subtle, I have a growing fascination with my new breast size.

There. I said it. Hope Peppermint has a big appetite and a big mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment