Friday, August 7, 2009

Tired Is The New Black

Sadie is over two weeks old, well past her birth weight (11 ounces past to be almost exact), and we have had a dizzying week of firsts. Pictured above is our first visit to the pediatrician. Sadie, our champion, peed when they weighed her and then screamed loud enough to curl the linoleum in our little examination room. Yes sir, that's my baby.

We have plumb tuckered her out. Yesterday, she went to her first meeting with mama and then went to her first retail store (Old Navy-- don't judge me) and her first grocery store (Dominick's). So many firsts, is it any wonder this child can sleep 4 hours at a stretch? Now, if only those hours were at NIGHT!

The pediatrican asked us if Sadie knows the difference between night and day. Jeff and I just stared at each other. We barely know the difference and we sure as hell don't know how to tell if SHE knows if it's night or day. I admit that question made me wonder if there is something I am supposed to be doing to teach her the difference between night and day. Do I need to be reading about this? Asking around? Somehow I think me getting a system or "right way to do it" stuck in my head is a very, very bad idea. There are very few absolutes in my mind when it comes to my relationship with Sadie, but one of them is that if I try to exert my will on her, we will all end up miserable. For now, I will just trust that it will all work out at some point. I did tell her all day, "it's day time," and when the sun went down I started saying, "it's nighttime." Here's hoping she's a very verbal learner!

The fatigue is starting to catch up with me. I have that low grade headache all the time and almost always feel nauseated. I also finished the Norco. Actually, there's a bunch left, but I haven't taken them in over 48 hours so that little chapter in my narcotics history is closed. Ever since I stopped taking it, my appetite is vengeful. All I want is a blizzard, and I am not talking about snow. I am also not talking about yogurt or low calorie or low fat ice cream. I am talking about full fat creamy ice cream with cookies in it. Oreos. It's the first craving I have had since Sadie was born. Once I decided I have no idea how to manage getting a stupid blizzard, I decided I had to have some macaroni and cheese. I got neither today, but tomorrow is another day.

The biggest consequence of letting go of Norco is being able to drive. Today Sadie and I drove by ourselves downtown for a doctor's appointment. We listened to the CD that is a recording of a blow dryer, which saved the ride. It was a big step towards getting out and about with my little baby. Not sure what our next milestone will be, but for now I am celebrating being able to get around and be out and about with Sadie and being able to endure the pain of the C-Section armed only with Motrin and my sunny disposition.

No comments:

Post a Comment