Monday, August 10, 2009

Baby Sleeping

My two favorite moments of the day : when Sadie is fast asleep and I know that I can talk as loud as I want to crank up the stereo and she won't budge. It's the nearest bit of freedom I have these days and I really relish it.

Second, this afternoon I made lunch for me and Jeff and brought it upstairs on a tray. We were having a little picnic on the bed-- (Note to self: order new linens after we pass through the newborn phase)-- and Sadie was sitting on my lap just relaxing and looking at Jeff. I was able to hold her in my lap and eat my lunch, which was a new trick for both of us. Next thing I know, Miss Sadie, the Mistress of Manners, starts with her farting and suddenly there is literally poo coming out of the top of her onsie. By top, I am referring to the part by her neck. I have heard parents talk about this, but who can believe this is really something that a little person can do until it happens to you? I was wondering what it would take for her to sit with us while we relax and have a meal. Now I know: explosive diarrhea. Hell, I guess it takes what it takes.

And, because the poo bore a striking resemblance to the food I was eating, I wasn't sad to leave my half-eaten plate in order to change her and when we saw the extent of the damage, we went straight to the bath. Sadie still hasn't taken to the bath yet, but we hold out hope that one day she'll enjoy being submerged in lukewarm water and having her hair washed. I kept explaining to her that taking baths were just one of many things to come that we would subject her to that she would not necessarily like, but that we would insist upon. I love her and I love her when she calm and peaceful, but I really can't have her lounging around with her own feces caked on her hair and her ankles.

She's in one of her long nap stretches right now. It's really peaceful and I am glad she can settle down for these 3 and 4-hour stretches. And, not just so that I can get on line and order more comfy maternity leave clothes, but also so that her little brain can develop along with all the associated neurological systems. I have addressed the birth announcements, but fear that if I send them out this early-- before she's even three weeks old-- then people won't believe me when I say I am overwhelmed and maybe have a touch of the baby blues. Look, just because I am organized and want to get the word out about the baby does not mean that I am coasting along and don't need lots of love and support and encouragement from anyone and everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment