Monday, May 4, 2009

New Bling

Because my hands are swelling a bit from the pregnancy, I decided to take my wedding and engagement rings off so they don't have to be cut off in a few weeks when my finger turns purple. My husband was able to secure me a replacement ring so it's publicly clear I am married. I mean, what if I run into any super-religious people (or, let's be real, ex-boyfriends) and they just think I am an unwed mother? And, while there is nothing wrong in the world with being a mother without being a wife (or a woman without a wedding ring), I am more afraid of punching someone in the face who gives me a lecture or tells me how to live my life. My fuse is short and the days are long. I have to protect myself.

My "new" wedding band is a ring that Jeff's Grandma Ann gave him when he was in fourth grade. You can see that there is a script "E" on the face of the ring, which I just love. The gold band is very delicate, but has the advantage of not cutting off circulation to my fingertips, which seems like a good benefit to any jewelry. I think of it as good practice in trying on a new initial and a step towards taking Jeff's last name. In a burst of old-fashioned-ness I started thinking that I want to have the same last name as my child. And, I also want to keep my name. It's a bit of a bind and I am keeping an open mind. Maybe this weekend when we go on our babymoon to New York City, I will get some clarity when I stand on Ellis Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment