Sunday, June 21, 2009

Bastille Day Baby Nursery

Back on November 6, 2008, about 7 hours after Jeff and I took our pregnancy test and found out about the Peppermint, I called my friend Cynthia who asked me if I had figured out my due date. To her dismay, I hadn't so she promptly looked it up for me: July 14, 2009-- Bastille Day. Thus, when the theme of our nursery took shape, it was totally fitting that we chose a French theme: the toile, the Paris map, the Ballooning Over France print. I gotta say, I am pretty proud of this because it's fresh, original, not-too-gender stereotypical, and it's my favorite room in our house now. At this point, about 3.5 weeks away from Bastille Day, we are only missing the diaper genie, the first aid kid, and the breast pump. Not bad for first-time parents.
We'll probably spend a lot of time here: the changing table. Here's where diaper magic will happen. By "we," I mean Jeff, who has expressed a deep longing and desire to handle diaper duty in all its glory during her first year of life. Maybe not, but a woman can dream. He did inform me yesterday that his college friends informed him that a breast-fed baby's poop tends to be a mustadardy color. From that, I infer his interest and desire to take the lead in all things diaper. Am I reading too much into the conversation?


Here's a Land of Nod Shelf that houses her first Cubs cap and a vintage book of Fairy Tales from France. We included some of our first and most precious Peppermint-themed items, including portrait by Joyce Polance and Peppermint Bark, a Hannukah gift from Jeff to me. And of course, her first ultrasound picture! She's such a dear one, that Peppermint.
The map of Paris, which really catapulted us into this whole French theme. We found this interesting little curio at Target, which is very similar to a Parisian flea market, no?
The final decorative piece arrived today: Ballooning Over Paris, which we got custom framed from Art.com. I love it. There is plenty of time for princesses, or bunnnies, or Disney, or horses, or ballet. For now, we are keeping it french and fancy.
I love this bedding so much it makes me want to be a baby just so I can sleep with it. It's from Babies R Us, and I think it's by Laura Ashley. Holy crap it's really beautiful. The bumpers have to go when she's sleeping in there because SIDS guidelines warn against anything at all in crib bedsides baby in a straight jacket, but for now, the bumpers make mommy really really happy when she walks in the nursery.

No comments:

Post a Comment